Wednesday, February 14, 2018

WEEK 7: Valentine's Day

I never knew my maternal grandmother, Ruby Leigh Little Leary.  (Wow!  That's the first time I was aware of all the alliteration in her names!)

Ruby came down with tuberculosis most likely late in 1936, and spent the next few years in the Modern Woodmen Tuberculosis Sanitorium outside Colorado Springs, CO, until her death in 1939.  Her husband had died in 1928 before their third anniversary, and her only daughter was in the care of her brother back in Louisiana.

One of the things the patients at Woodmen were encouraged to do was to create a scrapbook.  I've looked through hers many times, and always find some new discovery each time.  Ruby collected postcards; graduation and birth announcements; telegrams telling of various family members deaths; newspaper articles of interest; clippings from various periodicals, and all kinds of greeting cards sent to her.  I love looking at the old vintage greeting cards.  These are but two of the Valentine's Day cards included in her collection.  I only wish she had not used glue to attach so many of the items to the album pages!



No comments:

Post a Comment

Newest Discovery & Secrets Unearthed

 Like so many of us who are researching our families' histories, I've come across events and/or documents that I am sure the subject...