Friday, February 23, 2018

WEEK 8: HEIRLOOM



When I first saw this subject, I initially thought, "well, I don't really have anything I'd classify as an 'heirloom' about which I could write."  But then as I let the idea percolate a bit, I realized I had at least a half dozen items that would fit that category: my grandmother's scrapbook that contained the Valentine's cards I recently blogged about; a great-aunt's engraved locket; a watch my father gave my mother early in their marriage; my mother's high school ring; and finally my grandfather's deputy sheriff badge.

I've posted questions on several of the genealogy Facebook pages seeking suggestions for ways to research my grandfather's life.  Dick Leary made it difficult to track him, as he lived much of his short life on the move, and evidently used aliases, presumably because of his work in law enforcement. He was working in New Mexico busting stills when he met my grandmother, Ruby, who had gone from Louisiana to NM with her sister, who was seeking treatment for tuberculosis.  It was a miracle they even met.

I was born in the wild west town of El Paso, TX (and coincidentally this is one place Dick Leary had worked 25 years earlier as a Prohibition Agent).  I loved watching Gene Autry's TV show and Range Rider (starring Jock Mahoney) when we lived in Texas. We moved to Memphis, TN, when I was about 5 years old and I made fast friends with two kids, Karen and Freddy.  Playing cowboys (and cowgirls) kept us occupied outside for hours on the weekends.  Most likely I was the one who initiated that line of play.

In any event, my mother took this badge out of her belongings and offered it to me to authenticate my cowgirl status. I proudly wore it often.  Looking back 60+ years now, I cannot imagine how this item is still in my possession, and not buried in some pile of dirt in the backyard of an apartment building in south Memphis.

When I finally got serious about researching my genealogy, I came across the 1925 document that  officially deputized Dick and  photos of a still bust.

And although we don't play cowboys anymore, Karen, Freddy, and I are still fast friends.

Dick Leary's badge
Dick Leary appointed Deputy Sheriff

This appears to be a staged reenactment with Dick Leary taking the photo.

L. to R.--Deb, Fred, Karen circa 1956, Memphis, TN









2 comments:

  1. That's a GREAT heirloom. How my brother would have envied you that authentic sheriff's badge. He was a Daniel Boone and Hopalong Cassidy fan and his room was dedicated to a western theme.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great story! The badge is pristine! What a treasure!

    ReplyDelete

Newest Discovery & Secrets Unearthed

 Like so many of us who are researching our families' histories, I've come across events and/or documents that I am sure the subject...